Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 93 Week 14

Thursday began with leading the Women’s Fellowship class. I used the scripture from Proverbs 31:11-31 where it addresses a “worthy woman.” They were very encouraged and engaged in the discussions quite well. Then in the afternoon Bright and I traveled to the village just beside us for the community football tournament. The communities come together for football and other various activities during the Easter Holiday. The village that I am staying at tied in both of their games. It was a lot of fun and always great to be in the community and involved in peoples lives. The football games are played by the youth, but the youth in Ghana are from 20-30 years of age. Following the football games, we headed to another village in the other direction beyond Akplale. This “village” as I found out only had one house, so for us to find it was a little adventure. We just cut off the main road and began to walk and after some time they realized that things were not looking very good for the route that we were taking, so we decided to head in a different direction. We did make it there and it was literally in the middle of nowhere! The closest place was miles away. The riverside, where they get their water, was about a mile away. The family was very welcoming and it was interesting to see the remoteness of some families. I would easily become lonely from the sheer isolation. The day was a very beneficial day with teachings, fun, and adventure.
Friday morning Bright and I went to another village by bike. There were many people coming in from the city to spend the Easter with the families. The one thing that I noticed is that Easter is a time of celebration much like in the states, but they do a lot of drinking!!! By the time, we got there around ten in the morning a lot were already wasted! I was very shocked by this in the sense that even those who were going to church that afternoon were drunk. After the very interesting visit we left for home (I am not really sure where that is right now?). In the afternoon, we went to watch some more of the football games. More people started to come out to the games as they came in. The rest of the day was very relaxing and enjoyable as we made a few more visits to a neighboring village.
Saturday we walked to the village on the island. Here the Volta River surrounds them. We hunted for some ripe mangos, played with a pet monkey, and meet with some of the residence. I found out later that this is a modern day Sodom and Gomorra! They are involved in fornication, incest, alcohol, drugs, smoking, and prostitution! I did not get to spend much time with people for they were all going for the games, market, and fishing. After the visit, it was back to the field for more football.
Easter Sunday! It was interesting to spend my first Easter away from family and the traditions that go along with the Holiday, but it was all right. With some churches in Ghana, it is celebrated with marches, prayer services, plays, and other activities, but in the rural villages not so much. Not much was done in celebration of this day. Church went on at the same time, a sermon was preached, and the people went home. As far as the sermon, I thought it was good. What I prepared for turned out better then I had thought. I have noticed that once you start preaching things start roll’n! I have found myself just having the words to say and the direction to go. All of this is truly because of the Holy Spirit. I am not even qualified to profess the glories of Christ, but through Him, I, a vessel of His, become a means of soul preach’n for some soul reach’n. With a group photo of the church and Ernest’s family, I said my good-byes on this portion of my trip and I traveled back to Tema. I will be here for two days to pack for my nine-week trip throughout the north.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Ricky! Hey friend, we miss you back here at JBC. I've read some of your posts though and it's so amazing to hear what you're seeing, experiencing, and learning. That's so great. :) Know that we're thinking of you back here and miss you. Take care!

Andrew_Fultz said...

That's cool!