Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 89 Week 13

Monday morning I went and spoke to a couple primary schools. I have done this many times since I have been in Ghana, but today I became frustrated with myself, with the circumstances, and I almost felt as though I was speaking a false hope. I spoke to the students and give a little talk to them about never forgetting their dreams, staying in school, and working hard. They always are very exuberant to have me come and speak to them, so I do it with much elation! After speaking to them, I allow for some questions, and the one thing that I have noticed is that they do not ask questions at all! I am not sure if the teachers do not encourage them to ask questions or they just do not see a need. It will remain a mystery to me. With this, the teachers, normally become the ones to ask the questions. I was asked some difficult questions today and my response in their eyes seemed far fetch for them to accept. One question was “what do we do if we have the desire to learn and advance, but have no support financially?” I told them that there are scholarships for those who study hard and are among the best, so study hard. I also told them that they could do work in the evenings and save up little by little to go to school. As I was telling them this, I thought about the realities of the difficult circumstance that they were in and for me to tell them this as an outsider, not fully relating to them; well my heart sank and went out to them. In addition to that question I told them that it is a generational cycle that needs to be broken and it will take generation that is determined to arise from the current circumstance to take the nation to the next point. The other question that sparked a minor debate was “What is one to do if they are orphaned with no parents?” To this, I told them that the families are very big and that I have been told that most families will take in most relatives, but if this is not the case, then I would challenge the community to take in the child. With this said I was told that that is not practical! They said that only 2% would believe in that, so I said that that should not be the case and no matter if, that is how things are they should change. I told them that the youth are the future of the country, so if you abandon the youth you are setting your future of the country to remain the same or to backslide. I really felt that I was talking to them as someone who has no idea that their lives are really like and cannot relate to them at all. I really wonder if the motivation and desire to change is there, or if excuses cloud the path of movement. Overall, it was a good meeting with the schools, but some of these circumstantial issues are starting to weigh on my heart! The afternoon Bright, Pastor Ernest’s eldest son, and I went to Tovue to make visitations. While there we talked to members of the church as well as some who were not apart of a church. Our time spent was very nice and the people were very welcoming! On our way back, we stopped by a mission were they provides free vocational training to women. It seems to be a very beneficial ministry, but being in a rural area the people are many, but many miles away. At night, we received notice that there was a woman who could not walk and so we took the motorcycle to see her. After taking her blood pressure and temperature, we gave her some malaria medication.
Tuesday I spoke to a few more schools in the morning. They were once again very welcoming and thankful for the message of encouragement given. In the afternoon Bright and I went to the village of Tuve to make visitations to the residence. I find that this part of ministry is where I enjoy and feel the most comfortable. I t does make it a little more interesting when you do not know the people and you are speaking through a translator, but even with this I feel a better connection with people then behind the pulpit. I just connect better with people one on one for I can be more personal. We spoke to a couple of people who went through a prayer of accepting Christ into their lives and are in the process of making plans for being baptized. After they say the prayer then we talk to them about being baptized. We even ask when the best time will be, but for some they are nervous about it, so some times you have to go back for a couple of visits and just talk them through it more. The walk was very enjoyable to and through the village. What made the day finish even better was the walk next to God’s beautiful artwork in the sky as the sunset!
Wednesday morning Bright and I traveled by bike, a couple miles, to a school and led the morning devotions. This was the first school in all my meetings that actually asked questions. Some of them were very good and interesting. They asked about the ration of Christians to unbelievers, how long I have been preaching, what the schools are like in America. While in the village of Agbeve, we visited the family members of Pastor Ernest’s wife. This community is also located next to a river and with the coolness of the breeze mixed with the scenery and this place a very peaceful. In the afternoon Bright and I went to the village of Adzeke. Here we continued with the visitations and meeting of the church members. We had the privilege of having a couple more women accept Christ and one even made the commitment to come to church on Sunday (Easter Sunday) and will be baptize after the service. It was a very remunerating day with the talk at the school and the meeting with the community members!

No comments: