Monday, March 30, 2009

Day 73 Week 11

Early Thursday morning I began my journey to Kumasi. The trip was about four to five hours and I traveled on a very nice tour bus. Upon arrival I meet Pastor Paul and Pastor Jones who are two of the three pastors of Garden City Christian Church. Garden City Christian Church has been blessed to be able to support three full time ministers. There hope is to train pastors and then to have them take over the future church plants that are in planning for near by villages. Pastor Paul, from the very beginning, has been very hospitable. To much surprise they accommodated my stay to be in a very nice hotel. This is due for another family is staying with Pastor Paul. I enjoy the nice room and service, but to be honest I enjoy being with the families. I get to know them better and it feels warmer, but the family that is staying with them consists of a pastor who had a stroke, so this is not their fault.
After resting most of Thursday we went out for site seeing of Kumasi on Friday. We visited the Palace Museum and the Military Museum. The Palace that we visited is that of the Ashante Kingdom. This is the largest kingdom in all of West Africa. They have a long history of both power and wealth. To clarify they are very much a tune with the world and are by no means a kingdom separated from the world. There main source of wealth comes from gold. The military museum was very educational as well. The history of the country under Britain and their involvement in WI, WII, and UN peacekeeping missions are vast.
Saturday consisted of a prayer service for a couple of hours and the beginning of a very bad cold for myself. The service went well and I am growing so much in my praying, in both quantity and quality. Truly practice makes perfect, the more time one spends with someone (our father) in conversation the more easy it becomes to talk to Him. Later in the day I went with Pastor Paul for my first ever door-to-door evangelism. This was a very different situation to be apart of, but it has been very exciting getting to meet many people and learn more about them. It seems to be very effective in Ghana, for if they already believe, then it gives us time to encourage them as a fellow believer, but if they have not then we are there to welcome them to join us and to accept Christ into their lives.
Sunday I awoke to a very bad cough and extreme weakness. To my fortune I was to deliver the sermon for the service. This was another great experience were the Holy Spirit took control. In the matter of minutes my cough ceased, I gained some energy, and the message just flowed. It truly was amazing! A message I on paper that looked average, turned out to be a message that touched peoples hearts. I know that it had nothing to do with my little knowledge and all from the words of God. It was so compelling that Pastor Paul, who normally just relaxes the rest of Sundays, felt compelled to go and make house-to-house visitations. For a day that was full of sickness and weakness Christ showed me literally that when we are weak He is Strong!

No comments: